Greek stuffed cabbage
Dolmadakia is a typical Greek dish prepared on the basis of pickled grape leaves. Our friend from Greece – Nickolas, encouraged us to create an entry about it. He said they taste great with the addition of tzatziki sauce or thick yogurt. It is prepared from meat and rice or just rice with the addition of, for example, chopped onion, garlic, raisins and pine nuts. It is served warm with sauce. In the cold version, it is served as a snack on Greek buffets – Meze Dolmadakia is also sold in cans in shops and supermarkets.
To make we need:
- 60 pieces of pickled grape leaves,
- 300 g of minced meat (veal, lamb or beef),
- 200 g of dry arborio rice,
- 150 g of white onion,
- a bunch of dill,
- a bunch of parsley,
- half a bunch of fresh mint,
- 100 ml of olive oil,
- 100 ml of lemon juice,
- 500 ml of water,
- half a teaspoon of salt,
- half a teaspoon of pepper.
Preparation time: 90 minutes
How to make dolmadakia?
- Wash the grape leaves with brine.
- Peel the onion and grate it (fine mesh).
- Finely chop the parsley, dill and mint.
- Mix spices with rice, meat, onion, salt, pepper, lemon juice and 50 ml of olive oil.
- Place the grape leaves with the inside (veins) facing up.
- On the root of the leaves, put a spoonful of the prepared stuffing and wrap it with a roll (not too tight, so that the dolmades will not crack when the rice swells).
- Lay the “Greek stuffed cabbage" in layers on the bottom of the pot.
- Pour half a liter of water, 50 ml of olive oil and half a teaspoon of salt into it.
Cook covered for about 60 minutes.
How to make tzatziki?
- Grate the cucumber on a large-mesh grater.
- Salt it and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the cucumber thoroughly from the juice and put the pulp in a bowl.
- Add the yogurt, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and freshly chopped herbs to the bowl.
- Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for a while.
Enjoy your meal!